A man who had just attended the funeral of his brother, who was killed by a snake bite, has also died after being bitten by a snake.
Govind Mishara, 22, went to the funeral of his brother Arvind Mishara, aged 38, in the village of Bhawanipur, India on Wednesday. Arvind died Tuesday from a snake bite, Officer Radha Raman Singh said Thursday, according to a report by PTI, an Indian news agency The Indian Express.
“Govind Mishara was killed after being bitten by a snake while he was sleeping,” Singh said. “One of the relatives of the family, Chandrashekar Pandey, who was in the same house, was also bitten by a snake.”
He added that Pandey was taken to a hospital after the incident and is in critical condition.
Pandey and Govind Mishara had come to the village to attend the funeral. Police did not say if they are investigating the deaths or if they are considered suspicious.
news week has contacted Balrampur Police Department for comment.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), snake bites are a neglected public health problem in many tropical and subtropical countries.
“Each year, approximately 5.4 million snakebites occur, resulting in 1.8 to 2.7 million cases of envenomation (snakebite envenomation),” according to a May 2021 report.
“Every year there are between 81,410 and 137,880 deaths and about three times that many amputations and other permanent disabilities.”
The report adds that up to 2 million people are poisoned by snakebites in Asia every year.
The report also found that under-reporting of snake bites also skews official government data.
“A very large community-level study of snakebite deaths in India gave a direct estimate of 45,900 deaths in 2005, which is more than 30 times the Indian government figures.
“Revised estimates based on verbal autopsies and other data now suggest that between 2000 and 2019 up to 1.2 million Indians died from snakebite (an average of 58,000 per year).”
In a separate WHO report on snakebites in India, the government agency said incidents were not reported because “victims seek treatment from non-medical sources or do not have access to medical care.”
The report also found that antidotes are an effective treatment, but many people don’t have access to them or can’t afford to pay for them.
“Many families sell their belongings or go into debt to obtain an antidote after someone has been bitten,” the report says.
“Difficulties in ensuring proper regulation and testing of antivenoms also impact the availability of high-quality, effective products.”