DK Metcalf, Seattle Seahawks agree to three-year,  million extension

DK Metcalf, Seattle Seahawks agree to three-year, $72 million extension

RENTON, Wash. — The Seattle Seahawks and star wide receiver DK Metcalf have agreed to a three-year, $72 million extension that includes $58.2 million in guarantees, a source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Thursday with.

The total guaranteed includes a $30 million signing bonus, the source says, the highest-ever for a wide receiver.

The deal quickly ends Metcalf’s two-day “hold-in” and locks up one of the Seahawks’ top performers of the future. The 24-year-old Metcalf, who had a year and just under $4 million left on his rookie contract, is now under contract until 2025.

The average new money win of $24 million for his renewal makes Metcalf the Seahawks the highest-paid player, surpassing safety Jamal Adams at $17.5 million and cementing him as the new face of the franchise after Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner left .

The Bills’ Metcalf and Stefon Diggs now have the sixth-highest median annual salary among NFL recipients.

The three-year extension is shorter than the Seahawks typically prefer for big-money second deals and puts Metcalf on track to become a free agent at age 28. Also, the wait time was shorter than some Seahawks. recent mega deals that were only completed in the training camp.

Metcalf reported to camp on time Tuesday but did not attend the first two drills because his agent, Tory Dandy, and the Seahawks continued to negotiate. Coach Pete Carroll clarified that his non-participation was contract related and not due to Metcalf’s surgically repaired foot.

Metcalf’s future in Seattle seemed a bit uncertain at the start of this offseason after general manager John Schneider publicly expressed shock at some of the mega deals that have skyrocketed the receiver market. The Seahawks received calls from teams interested in Metcalf after those comments, but Seattle told suitors it wasn’t interested in trading him, according to a source.

Despite the trade speculation and rising WR salaries, the Seahawks expressed confidence, both publicly and behind the scenes, that they would strike a deal with Metcalf ahead of the season. That was also the case after Metcalf’s unresolved contract caused the receiver to skip last month’s mandatory minicamp with an absence deemed unexcused by the team.

Carroll noted at the time that the Seahawks have had a strong track record of keeping players overtime since he and Schneider arrived in 2010.

“I’m no less optimistic, no,” Carroll said in June after Metcalf’s minicamp failed to show up. “We’ve been going through this for years. It’s a challenging time. We’ve had so many high-profile people go through that process and how has that worked out for us? We found out in time. John is in. He’s so experienced at handling this stuff and DK has great representation and DK is a damn boy. But there’s no way to avoid the first time of it, the first time, how it feels and the experience of it and all that. … He’s a remarkable person. He’s a wonderful player. He has so much to offer the world and everything, I just don’t want him to miss out on this opportunity where we can’t find out. So we will do everything we can.”

Metcalf has totaled 216 catches for 3,170 yards and 29 touchdowns in his first three seasons. He made his lone Pro Bowl in 2020 after breaking Steve Largent’s franchise record for a season with 1,303 receiving yards. After suffering a career-threatening neck injury in college, Metcalf has not missed a game in his NFL career.

He played for most of last season with a broken bone in his foot that required surgery. Carroll said Wednesday that Metcalf passed his physical and was fine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.